When you put your keys in the ignition of your car, you anticipate hearing the familiar hum of the engine starting up, ready to take you where you need to go. In the event that your car doesn’t start, it could be a quick fix or something that requires professional assistance. Toyota of Morristown is here to help you clarify some of the distinctions between simple and more complicated no-start indicators.
Easy-Fix Signs and Symptoms
One of the most common reasons for your vehicle not starting is an issue with the battery, which aids your car with most electrical functions. Jumpstarting your car can be the solution if you have an operating vehicle and a set of jumper cables to assist you in the process. There are also a few telltale signs that your car is facing a less-concerning issue:
- A clicking noise might indicate an issue with your starter connection. Check to see if the wiring to or from is loose.
- If your vehicle makes no noise when you turn it on, your cable connections may be corroded, which will need to be replaced in order to get you up and running again.
- A wet distributor cap can also create an issue, which can be caused if your car won’t start while it’s raining. You can consult your car’s manual to find out where the cap is located, then take it upside down and spray it with carburetor cleaner. Shake it gently and dry it with a lint-free cloth. After you’ve reattached the cap, give starting up another go.
When You Might Want to Consider Our Service Center Near Summit
If those tricks don’t get you moving, it could also be a sign of a more serious issue. Take note of the following signs that may mean it’s time to make an appointment at our service center near Summit:
- Cranking but failure to start can indicate an issue with your spark plugs or fuel supply to your engine.
- If your engine misses or hesitates during acceleration, you might have a problem with your accelerator pump, spark plugs, the distributor, the timing, or a combination of all four.
- Engine knocks or pings can also be a bad sign. If you hear this, something might be up with your timing belt or coolant system.
No matter the extent of your car’s issues, it can be helpful to take your Toyota in for a visit to the professionals at Toyota of Morristown. Our trained technicians can help diagnose your vehicle’s issues and get you back on the Summit area roads in no time. For more information or with any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us today!